Lillypost Review: The Book Subscription Box for Kids
Subscription boxes and books are two of my favorite things so when I heard of Lillypost, the book subscription box for kids, I immediately wanted to check it out.
I was intrigued by Lillypost because, even though I don’t have kids, being able to gift a book subscription box for kids seemed like such a fun idea! One that both parents and kids can enjoy.
Plus, I’ve always had a love for children’s books and find them to be so charming. I mean, is there anything better than a beautifully illustrated book with an endearing message?
So if you’ve been curious about getting or gifting a book subscription box for kids, check out the sections below! I’ll be going over what it is, how it works, an unboxing, and my honest thoughts.
Skip To Section:
What Is Lillypost?
Lillypost is a monthly book subscription box for kids ages 0-7. Every month, you will receive a box filled with 3-4 books (up to 50% off the retail price!) depending on the package you choose and the age-range that you select.
All of the books are yours to keep so you don’t have to worry about sending anything back!
What’s Inside a Lillypost Book Box?
There are three different subscriptions that you can choose from so you subscription selection will determine the books you receive.
The children’s book subscription options are:
Ages 0-3 — This box includes 4 board books
Ages 4-7 — This box includes 3 picture books (all hardcovers)
All Ages — This box includes 2 picture books and 1 board book
Books are chosen at random so you won’t know what you’re receiving until it’s in your hands, but that’s all part of the fun, right!?
To see some sample books from past boxes, click here.
They also offer the option to opt-in to receive seasonal or holiday-themed books. For instance, I received the October 2020 box and got a Halloween-themed board book.
How Much is a Lillypost Book Subscription?
All Lillypost month-to-month subscriptions are $19.95/month + an additional $4.95/month for shipping.
However, if you purchase a 3-month subscription that price drops to $18.95/month + the additional $4.95/month for shipping.
Check out the video below to see my unboxing of the October 2020 Lillypost box.
Pros & Cons of This Book Subscription Box for Kids
As with everything, there are certainly pros and cons, but overall, I thought that Lillypost was such a great service and the quality of books were fantastic!
Ready to give Lillypost a try? Click this link to get started!
Pros of Lillypost
- The quality of the books is great. The books were clearly packaged with care and I loved that all of the picture books are hardcover. It definitely makes the cost well worth it!
- You receive a good variety. Even though you don’t get to choose what books you get, the selection that I received was a fun variety of seasonal, educational, and just plain ol’ fun!
- The cost is right. Most hardcover picture books are a minimum of $12 so to only pay $20 for what could easily be $36+ worth of books is a total win in my book!
- Your purchase helps to give back. For every box shipped, Lillypost donates a book to a children’s literacy charity. You can read more about that here.
- They offer a great referral program. They have a give $10, get $10 referral program so if you refer someone you know to Lillypost, they will get $10 off their order and you will get a $10 credit to be applied to your next order.
Cons of Lillypost
- You run the risk of getting a book you already own. If you are a huge bookworm, this will likely happen eventually and Lillypost does not do returns or exchanges. Instead, they encourage you to give-back by sharing that book with someone else.
- Shipping + taxes are not ideal, but I get it. One of my pet peeves with subscription boxes is having to pay for shipping. Personally, I would rather a company just work that into their base price because knowing that I’m getting “free shipping” makes me feel so much more at ease with a purchase (even if technically I’m still paying it.)