Whether you’re looking to increase productivity or to improve your daily mindset , this article walks you through 10 realistic steps to incorporate a healthy morning routine into your day!
*This post contains affiliate links, meaning we earn a small commission when you purchase through them!
Skip To Section:
why you need a morning routine
Do you struggle to wake up at consistent times? Do you feel crabby and unmotivated in the mornings? Do you want to feel more productive and satisfied throughout the day?
It might be time to change up or implement a healthy morning routine!
Studies show that early risers tend to have higher productivity rates and better quality of life than those who sleep in late.
By creating a healthy morning routine and waking up early not only will you feel more motivated and productive, but you’ll have a happier mindset as well.
Waking up early also has long-terms effects such as improved mental health, better sleep patterns, and boosted self-esteem.
2. Get some natural light. Whether you open your blinds or use a sun therapy lamp, getting some natural light tells your body that it’s time to wake up! It will also help to instantly brighten your mood.
3. Drink water. Not only will a cold glass of water in the morning help your digestion and metabolism, it will also help you to feel more energized and refreshed.
Check out some of my fave water cups:
6. Eat a healthy breakfast. Breakfast is meant to energize and provide fuel for your day! Eat a protein-packed breakfast like eggs, greek yogurt, protein shakes, oatmeal, etc.
7. Do some light chores. Whether you start a load of laundry or empty the dishwasher, doing 1-2 quick chores will make you feel more productive and will put you in a better mindset for the remainder of the day.
8. Read or journal. After chores, reward yourself with a little me-time. Spend 20-30 minutes journaling, reading, or doing anything that brings you joy.
Here are some of my favorite ways to indulge in some morning me-time:
9. Make a to-do list. It’s easy to get carried away and distracted throughout the day so spending 10 minutes in the morning to create your day’s to-do list will be super effective.
Jot down your 3 MOST IMPORTANT tasks for the day and then any additional tasks beyond that.
10. Start your workday. By now, you should be feeling refreshed and productive to complete a successful workday.
what a MORNING SCHEDULE looks like
In order to implement a productive morning routine, I would suggest getting up 2 hours before your work day starts.
It might feel like a lot to do in two hours, but keep in mind, just because we’re doing a lot of things, doesn’t mean you need to do them at full capacity. Keep things quick, light, and most importantly: stay on track!
This is what I would suggest a typical morning routine schedule to look like:
6:00 am – Wake up
6:05 am – Get some sunlight & have some water
6:15 am – Move your body
6:30 am – Wash your face/take a quick shower
6:45 am – Make a healthy breakfast
7:00 am – Do some light chores (laundry, dishes, etc.)
7:15 am – Read, journal, or an activity you enjoy
7:45 am – Create a to-do lit for the day
8:00 am – Start your work day!
If you plan on doing a full workout or need more time to shower and get ready, you,’ll want to plan for that. You could also just cut out the reading/journaling (if that isn’t your thing) and add that 30 minutes to your workout & cleansing time.
5 tips for a healthy morning routine
Now that you know what the structure of your morning should look like, here are some additional tips to ensure you have the best morning routine possible!
- Wake up at the same time every day. When it comes to instilling habits, consistency is key!
- Adjust your routine as needed. If after trying this routine for a while and you just aren’t jiving, it’s okay to make adjustments to whatever makes you feel the best and most productive! But try to stick with a schedule for at least 10 days before changing.
- Go to sleep at the same time every day. Just as important as it is to have a healthy morning routine, you should have a healthy night routine as well.
- Avoid your phone. I get that sometimes you will need to check an email or notification, but if you can avoid it, do. It’s easy to “just take a peek” at our phones and then before you know it, an hour has passed.
- Drink your water before coffee. I know that some days that can feel impossible, but I promise that if you follow the routine above, you’ll feel so refreshed and energized that coffee will feel more like a treat than a necessity.